Canelo Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin were set to get back in the ring to finish what they started last year, but it looks things are on hold.
Read on to find out what just happened Canelo Alvarez…
CelebNSports247.com has the latest on Canelo Álvarez who blamed eating Mexican meat as the reason he failed a drug test for performance enhancing drugs.
Now, the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) apparently had enough and decided on Friday to temporarily suspend Saul Canelo Alvarez for testing positive.
It was said the substance that was allegedly in Canelo system was clenbuterol.
“Alvarez will be required to appear at a commission hearing on the issue on April 10, less than a month before he is to challenge unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin on May 5 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas in a rematch of their controversial draw in September. ?
The commission could suspend him further, placing the rematch in significant jeopardy.
As part of the deal for the first fight, as well as for the rematch, both boxers agreed to be randomly tested by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.
Alvarez provided urine samples on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20, and both tests came back positive for trace amounts of clenbuterol, according to a March 5 letter VADA president Dr. Margaret Goodman sent to those involved that was obtained by ESPN.”
Alvarez has denied knowingly doping and Golden Boy has stated they would move the camp from Mexico to the United States. He also said any further tests “that VADA deems necessary” leading up to the Golovkin fight.
“I am an athlete who respects the sport and this surprises me and bothers me because it had never happened to me,” Alvarez said in a statement earlier this month. “I will submit to all the tests that require me to clarify this embarrassing situation and I trust that at the end the truth will prevail.”