Cleveland Cavaliers guard JR Smith will accept a deal that requires him to pay $600 to a fan after he tossed the fan’s cellphone.
If you recall, JR Smith chucked the cell phone into a New York City construction site on July 26th, 2018. Read on to get the latest…
CelebNSports247.com has learned that Cleveland Cavaliers guard JR Smith attorney Alex Spiro, and Manhattan prosecutor John Johnsen said in court that they expect to finalize an adjournment-in-contemplation-of-dismissal agreement.
It looks like JR Smith doesn’t have to worry about his ticket for misdemeanor criminal mischief anymore. He can move on with his life at the fan gets a new cell phone.
While the legal proceedings took place JR Smith was not in attendance, but he did talk to police about the incident in August.
A lawyer representing him said this week, however, told ESPN that the matter is now closed.
On July 26, a man told police that Smith grabbed his cell phone and threw it into a construction zone in Manhattan after the man tried to take a picture of Smith. Spiro told reporters that Smith, 32, will pay $600 in restitution to the fan for his lost phone.
We previously reported that JR Smith’s attorney Alex Spiro called the whole thing “nonsense.”
Spiro also said at the time:
We aren’t responding to nonsense. He has issued a ticket.
After Spiro’s statement, “the fan claims his $800 phone was damaged and he has filed a report with police.”
Well, two months later, they’ve reached an arrangement. Smith’s attorney, who refused to pay announced:
We have reached dismissal in Cellphone-gate.
They have another court date on Nov. 15 where he will be there for his arraignment.